Read in English      Ler em Português


Jasmim from 6 to 8 

 I hear something vibrating violently. I extend my hand into the darkness of my room in the direction of the origin of that vibration.  I touch the screen of my phone and slide my finger over it. The alarm turns off. It’s six thirty-five in the morning. A new day began.
 I stay laying on my bed for a few minutes, updating on what happened in the social networks over the night. First Instagram, then Snapchat, Wechat, and, finally, Facebook. The only light sources in my room are the light from my phone’s screen and a thin ray of light that penetrates through a breach in the window covers of my room’s window.
 I get up. It’s six forty. I open my room’s door and head to the kitchen. I open the window, which opens onto the Principe Real Garden. The morning Sun timidly illuminates the garden, giving blue tones to the green leaves of the imposing oaks. Nature slowly wakes up, just like me. I hear the birds singing like innocent children that play hide-and-seek. There are children playing in the park too, under their parents’ dormant vigilance. The trees sigh with the delicate morning breeze. The city too slowly wakes up, just like me. I hear cars honking furiously as if honking solved any problem on this world. I see people jogging and doing yoga in the garden, trying to anxiously establish some lost connection with Nature. While observing this scenery, a funny thought comes to me: the garden is Nature’s embassy in the CIty.
 I remember that I have a Writing and Argumentation Practice test at eight o’clock and I have to hurry. I take my breakfast, get dressed, and brush my teeth at the speed of a panther pursuing its prey, maybe an antelope. I scribble a few ideas on my notebook. Something for me, something for later, or something for my blog? I don’t know, I just scribble what comes to my mind, as if I had a parabolic antenna introduced in my brain and it was receiving some signal with a message.
  It’s seven twenty-five. I open the door of my dad’s apartment and go down the treacherous stairs. I get out of the building to the outside world. I had to hurry to get to college on time. I pass by cafés and stores. I pass marveled tourists looking up while completely blocking the sidewalk. The native lisboners, who are in a hurry and don’t have time for these architectonic delights, get infuriated.  I cross the street, looking at both sides. Nowadays it’s necessary to be careful with the Portuguese drivers, especially the lisboners, the most nervous of their kind. You never know what goes on their heads and if they are going to stop or not. You ought to have more caution crossing the street than the No Man’s Land.
 Finally, I reach the metro station. I go swiftly down the slow escalators and quickly put my pass over the card reader. The next metro is in two minutes. It’s seven forty. I review a few things for the test while I wait. The metro arrives, and the people get on it. During the ride, I continue to review for the test. Marquês de Pombal, Picoas, Saldanha, Campo Pequeno, Entrecampos, University City. I get off the metro. It’s seven fifty-five.
 At the exit of the metro station, a strong gust of wind blows, as if Hurricane Katrina was passing over Lisbon. However, outside there’s no wind at all. I hurry up to get to college.
 When I reach classroom 8.1, where the test is going to happen, the teacher had just come in. I arrived on time. It’s eight o’clock in the morning. The test starts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokaback Mountain/God's Own Country

Wildlife

Director's Style: Damien Chazelle

Films watched this year

  • 1917 (2019) directed by Sam Mendes
  • 9 to 5 (1980) directed by Colin Higgins
  • A Place in the Sun (1951) directed by George Stevens
  • Adults in the Room (2019) directed by COsta~Gavras
  • Bacurau (2019) directed by Juliano Dornelles, Kleber Mendonça Filho
  • Bait (2019) directed by Mark Jenkin
  • Bombshell (2019) directed by Jay Roach
  • By the Grace of God (2019) directed by François Ozon
  • Female Trouble (1974) directed by John Waters
  • Flames of Passion (1989) directed by Richard Kwietniowski
  • For Sama (2019) directed by Waad Al-Kateab and Edward Watts
  • Ford v Ferrari (2019) directed by James Mangold
  • From Here to Eternity (1953) directed by Fred Zinnemann
  • GUO4 (2019) directed by Peter Strickland
  • I Confess (1953) directed by Alfred Hitchcock
  • Invisible Life (2019) directed by Karim Aïnouz
  • Jojo Rabbit (2019) directed by Taika Waititi
  • Jubilee (1978) directed by Derek Jarman
  • Little Women (1933) directed by George Cukor
  • Little Women (1949) directed by Mervyn LeRoy
  • Little Women (1994) directed by Gillian Armstrong
  • Little Women (2019) directed by Greta Gerwig
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night (2018) directed by Bi Gan
  • Looking for Langston (1989) directed by Isaac Julien
  • Monos (2019) directed by Alejandro Landes
  • Mosquito (2020) directed by João Nuno Pinto
  • Network (1976) directed by Sidney Lumet
  • O Fantasma (2000) directed by João Pedro Rodrigues
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) directed by Céline Sciamma
  • Red River (1948) directed by Howard Hawks
  • Richard Jewell (2019) directed by Clint Eastwood
  • Shadow (2018) Zhang Yimou
  • The Farewell (2019) directed by Lulu Wang
  • The Hunger (1983) directed by Tony Scott
  • The Leopard (1963) directed by Luchino Visconti
  • The Lighthouse (2019) directed by Robert Eggers
  • The Nightingale (2018) directed by Jennifer Kent
  • The Souvenir (2019) directed by Joanna Hogg
  • The Wild Goose Lake (2019) directed by Diao Yi'nan
  • Thelma & Louise (1991) directed by Ridley Scott
  • Un Chant D'Amour (1950) directed by Jean Genet
  • Uncut Gems (2019) directed by Benny and Josh Safdie